Thursday, August 11, 2011

Saying Goodbye Sucks.

Even when you're excited about saying it.

I was planning on telling y'all that I was taking a blogging break ... well, an OFFICIAL blogging break, at any rate. I have clearly been taking quite the break over the past several months. Like I say every time I come back ... I just haven't felt like it. But, suddenly I have a bit of inspiration. So, here I am again, trying again. If it doesn't work, I'll take an official break until life seems blogworthy again.

So, who am I saying goodbye to? My kiddos at school. I just got an absolutely amazing new job at Indiana University as an academic advisor. I am THRILLED. So thrilled I am counting down the seconds until my first day of work. More excited than I have ever been for a new job before! The hard part, of course, is saying goodbye to everyone at the high school. School starts on Tuesday the 16th, and my last day will be Friday the 19th. I will have four days to say my goodbyes.

I have started telling some people - I called a parent I am incredibly close with and told her my news today. She cried and I felt awful. :( Then one of my fave students came in to handle some schedule changes and to fill me in on her summer, and I had to tell her, too. And she was way more bummed out than I thought a teenager would be. I am really struggling with feeling like I'm letting these kids down by leaving them ... but at the same time knowing that I'm doing what's right for me, for my career.

But still. So hard.

Ever leave a job you cannot wait to say goodbye to, but have a hard time with it anyway?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great news! The job, I mean. You have to take the time to do what is best for you. That way, you can better help those around you. Good luck and be sure to keep us tuned in to how it goes!

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

That is so exciting! Yay! It says a lot about the type of advisor you are if people cry when they here that you're leaving :-) I've had jobs where I've been happy to move {not necessarily leave the job, but leave the area}, and I know how hard it is. It sounds like you'll do really well at IU, though, even if I am a Purdue girl and have to dislike IU on principle, ha ha! Congrats!

Brittany Ann said...

Last year, leaving my high-school students who I'd had for years, well, that was horrible. I felt like I was letting them down and abandoning them.

AEOT said...

What an awesome new job!! You'll be great there.

Do NOT stop blogging, girlie! I will miss you!