Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Overheard in my Office: NSFW Edition

This story is rated R. Consider yourself warned.

A dear student of mine whom I am very fond of had to have ... a procedure done last week at Planned Parenthood. That's all I'll say about that. I checked in on her today to see how she was feeling, both physically and mentally, and she talked about how painful the whole experience had been. We talked about it for awhile, and then she said:

You know how sometimes, when you're having sex with someone, they go too deep and hit your cervix, and it really hurts? You know, has that ever happened to you?

I was caught a little off guard, and replied something along the lines of "Ummm. I don't know." Then she continued on to tell me that it was "like a million" times more painful than that.

Sigh. I am so, so very thankful that so many of my students feel comfortable enough around me to say pretty much anything, but at the same time, I think ... wow! I would have never ever ever ever asked an adult anything like that when I was in high school. Are students different these days? Or has it always been like this? I know I have some teachers and some people who work with teens out there reading ... what are your thoughts?


2 comments:

Jen @ Canadian Rhapsody said...

I don't know if it's necessarily the students themselves that have changed, or just the world they're growing up in. Everything in our society is constantly moving in the direction of being more liberal about sexuality, and having topics that were once taboo coming into the mainstream.
You look at what is discussed on tv during 'primetime' and you can't be surprised teens are OK talking about it!

I wouldn't have felt awkward hearing someone talk about that, but being asked your opinion or experience with it would be offputting!

Anonymous said...

When I taught Human Sexuality (400 level course in College) the kids referred to sex as "fucking". In class. Openly. I think I was the only one who batted an eye.

So yes, I think society is moving more towards being more liberal in general. Because even today I wouldn't DREAM of saying the F bomb in replacement of "sex", "intercourse", or even the cringe-worthy "making love."

And if I had a client say something like that to me, I would totally have needed a face check. Neutral therapist face would have went PEACE THE F OUT on me during that convo. Srsly.