Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Weird.

If you follow me on Twitter, then you may already know about the craziness that went on in my oven this evening. If not...well, keep reading.

Matt has class on Tuesday nights, and I always make dinner so that it's ready when he gets home. Sidenote: How fantastic am I??! This evening, I had two filets of tilapia in the oven waiting for when he got home. They weren't quite done when he arrived, so we were sitting on the couch talking about some stuff.

And then, suddenly...a giant crash from the kitchen. Confused, I ran into the kitchen to investigate, and opened the oven door.

DISASTER! The glass baking dish had literally SHATTERED in the oven. Has this ever happened to you? Glass was everywhere, and more importantly...fish was everywhere, too. It was a total disaster. I quickly shut the oven off and just kind of...stared at it. I use this dish probably 2-3 times per week, at minimum. Immediately, the glass started burning and the fish turned pretty black. And everything started smoking, and of course immediately the smoke detector went off. Matt opened our porch door and I turned on all the fans, and...the beeping stopped, which was a plus. Matt got what glass he could out of the oven and onto a baking sheet (we weren't sure what else to do!) and then...we promptly went out for dinner.

The glass is still all over the oven, and I am SO happy Matt is here to clean it up. I hope nothing like this happens when he's gone! I hate dealing with glass.

*UPDATE* I found my camera battery charger! So, without further ado...check this sh&# out.




21 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

I had something similar happen. But mine was when I removed the glassware and carried it to the dining room. It shattered as I carried it! Patrick, my hubs, blamed it on the quick change in temperature and the old, well-used glassware. Still, seems a little suspect to me..

Erin said...

Wow! Nope, that's never happened to me...at least not IN the oven. OUT of the oven is another story!

Lisa said...

That's crazy! Found this article: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/pyrex.html

kd said...

That happened to a (bachelor) guy friend of ours. He was putting meat in his Pyrex under the broiler every night and it was too much for the glass to take! Still, what a B to clean up!

PS- my word verification is "oventhe" haha

Molly Lou Gifts said...

Wow...interesting and very weird. That is crazy...thank goodness you weren't hurt! Can you imagine if you would have had a cooking injury-you would have received a lifelong pass not to cook.

Sorry about the big mess. Yay for good husbands.

The Northerner said...

yikes!

Just Anonymous Prep said...

Yikes that's so scary!

Lucky in Love said...

That is so crazy! Maybe it had a crack in it or something...

What a mess! I'm glad Matt was there to deal with it :)

Elizabeth said...

that is scary. I don't like dealing with stuff like that either. One of the many reasons I love being married :)

Ms. Attitude said...

Oh my goodness.

Jenn said...

what on earth??? omg thats nuts!!

brown eyed girl said...

That's happened to me before, but when I put a hot pan in cold water. Never in the oven! Scary! But at least you got an impromptu date night out of it! :)

Lucy Marie said...

How much do I love that the label on this post is "why the face". You are very fantastic and this sucks very much. I'm so scared my dinner is going to explode any minute now!!

kilax said...

Wow! I wonder what caused that to happen! At least you got to go out for dinner :)

Ashley said...

was it pyrex? my gradma just sent me an email saying how they are infamous for doing that! aren't hubbys wonderful when they clean up our disasters!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

seriously?! and reason #456, 345 that i do NOT cook!

d.a.r. said...

Wow that is crazy!!!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

That is crazy! I thought those dishes were made NOT to do that???

Gwen said...

Oh no!!! I've had dishes shatter in the microwave before but never in the oven. Hope you enjoyed your dinner out at least. :) XOXO

Melissa said...

That is so weird! I have never heard of a glass just shattering like that while in the oven. I'm glad everything worked out okay and most importantly you had someone there to help clean it up! :)

Jennifer said...

That's so weird! The only time I've had a glass pan break was in the dishwasher (equally fun to clean up though). Apparently older glass pans will do that? No idea.