Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Why men usually aren't social workers

I was having one of those days today - one of those days when I just felt really ineffective with my students. I mentioned to Matt on Google Chat that I was feeling really frustrated about some students who just can't seem to do anything, ever, no matter what. He offered his two cents to try and help.

Me: I am having one of those days where I feel like I don't know how to do my job. I have this group of kids and I am just out of ideas for them.
Matt: waterboarding
Me: hahaha. I love you.
Matt: It works.
Me: :) I feel like I could get fired for that.
Matt: Picket their houses and start blogs about them*
Me: HAHAHAHA definitely would get fired for that
Matt: you clearly don't appreciate my innovations to your field.
Me: I'm sorry. :( Thanks for the suggestions though.

And that, my friends, is why men usually aren't social workers. Gotta love it. Of course, me? Well, sometimes I feel like I would like to pull an Airplane on some of these kids!





*This is referring to the super awful Michigan Assistant Attorney General Andrew Shirvell, who has launched what seems like a hate campaign against the openly gay student council president at the University of Michigan, Chris Armstrong. If you haven't heard about this story, you can read more here. It is a really weird story - Shirvell started a blog bashing this kid, calling for his resignation, and admitted to going to his house and protesting. Ridiculous. I seriously, seriously hate people sometimes.

2 comments:

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

Or you could behave like that math teacher in Nashville who started throwing furniture and breaking windows! Yikes!

Kayla said...

Aww boy, I hear you.. my husband is an engineer, so his view of helping students is far different than mine as a counselor.... It's quite humorous at times!