Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What's cooking ...

I've been making lots of veggie stuff from my CSA share (Matt informed me I should stop referring to it as "my box." Giggle.) and I thought I would post a couple of things!

First of all ... the world's most boring looking plate. Sauteed spinach with garlic, olive oil and a touch of sea salt, and roasted radishes. Yes, this is what I had for dinner the other night. I have decided that radishes are better raw - they had a great little kick to them. But then I roasted them and they turned kind of ... boring. And mushy and tasteless. So, that's a bummer. For future reference ... just eat them whole, or sliced in a salad. :) The spinach, however, was fabulous.

Last night I made something really tasty, I thought - pasta with arugula pesto and cherry tomatoes. I had a ton of arugula and found a few great recipes for arugula pesto. I combined them and came up with this:
Yum! Pretty, right? Here is how I made the pesto:

Ingredients:
4-5 cups of arugula, trimmed
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh parmesan, shredded
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I just cut a lemon in half and squeezed the juice out of only one half)
salt and pepper
1/3 cup olive oil with some water

Directions:
Throw everything but the olive oil/water into a food processor and combine until well minced. Then, through the little food chute of the processor, pour the olive oil and water in slowly while the ingredients are still mixing.

Um, that's it. It is seriously that easy - and WAY delicious. My friend Kyle came over for dinner and we (unsuccessfully) attempted to make gluten-free pasta. It failed and we had to make regular pasta. Oh well! I tossed the pasta with about 3 tablespoons of the pesto, added a little more fresh parmesan, and about 2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes. DELISH! I highly recommend!

I have also been making this tasty salad - I got the idea from my new favorite food blog, Kath Eats Real Food. Everything this girl eats/makes looks so fresh and delicious! I stole one of her salad ideas and I am a little obsessed.

First, make some simple salad dressing - combine olive oil, honey and sea salt (I also throw in some pepper). Then, toss it with some salad greens. Add some tomatoes, avocado, and sauteed mushrooms. And that's it. Great, delicious flavors in there!

So, that's what I've been eating these days. Do you have any tasty recipes for me to try?

No comments: