Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tuesday run = epic FAIL

Well friends, the title really says it all.  I missed Monday's run and went out solo yesterday while Mr. Smith was studying for his final exam.  

Solo run = fail.  

I managed to jog for about five minutes before I felt like my body was possibly going to fall apart.  My legs were killing me.  And since I didn't have Mr. Smith to keep me going...I just stopped.  After five. freaking. minutes.  Nevermind the fact that I am running my first race ever in a week and a half...and oh yeah, that race is 3.1 miles.  What the heck?  Five minutes?  

So, I decided to walk for awhile and then try to run again.  Fail.

So, I decided to talk to the gym to try the treadmill for awhile.  Fail.

Dejected, I returned home to ice my leg.  Fail.

After dinner, Mr. Smith went back to studying and I planned on curling up on the couch with a good book.  Fail.  I fell asleep promptly, thanks to the minor headache that was creeping up around my temples.  The time?  Oh, I believe it was around 8pm.  

I woke up at 10:30.  Promptly moved to the bed to pass out again.  A few hours later, I groggily woke up as Mr. Smith was getting ready to go to bed.  I opened my eyes and stared at him confusedly.  He said, "do you have your nightguard in?"  I mumbled, "no" (I grind my teeth at night...lovely...).  He replied, "well, you need it," and went off in search of my nightguard.  

I was clearly interrupting his reading with my constant grinding.  Le sigh.  

For the record, I slept soundly until around 7:30...late to work again.  Fail.

But!  I successfully testified yesterday, and all is well.  Shortly before they were going to call, I got super nervous...totally silly, considering the fact that I was basically just talking on the phone.  Of course, they had to swear me in and everything, so that was fun.  I have testified before, several times, in various court cases during my professional career (while working both in foster care AND at the hospital), so none of this was new...but I definitely haven't testified about a case that I haven't had for over two years!  I think that's where the nerves came in...just trying to remember those details clearly, you know?

So, anyway.  That's over.  Today, I am going to hope for a successful run.  Wish me luck.  And, wish Mr. Smith luck, too!  He has a big exam today in finite mathematics (I know, I know, I'm jealous he's taking that class too...gag) AND he had a great job interview on Monday.  Mr. Smith has been unemployed and desperately job searching since we moved here in September, and I'm really hoping this one works out!

6 comments:

Meagan said...

Good luck on the run today!! I'm not as successful on the running as you are, so its ok to have a bad day! How are the shins doing?

Anonymous said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, five minutes and then an attempt on the treadmill is more than nothing. Good luck today, don't psych yourself out! :)

xoxo

Brittany Ann said...

Good luck Mr. and Mrs. Smith!

And don't worry. Sometimes, we just need a break. I think your body was letting you know that you need one.

Hang in there! Today will be better.

Lucky in Love said...

Good luck to both of you! I totally have those running days too...like you start to run and think how the heck did I ever run more than this yesterday?? It blows...but just power through. I know you can do it. Your race is so close!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Good luck!!! I hope you can get your run in today!

jenn said...

lol i laughed so hard at this, im not sure why. i love when people say "fail". epic fail? even better.

i'm sure youre shocked to read this - but i grind my teeth at night, too. only i've never gotten a guard and so i wake up with headaches a lot. :)