Thursday, June 11, 2009

Day 3 = Not So Great

Day 3 of my super duper fitness project started out great.  After the crazy storm that kept me up for awhile in the middle of the night, I slept in until around 8, then finally rolled out of bed to Shred.  Which went well!  It's crazy how quickly I notice myself getting stronger, you know?  I have read so many ladies' blogs who say the same thing.  This morning, I could do way more than I could just two days ago.  

For breakfast, I measured out a cup of Fiber One Honey Clusters (yum!) with 1/2 cup skim milk and around 1/2 cup of strawberries.  

Then, I went to work...and had the most fabulous lunch ever, a Kashi frozen meal called the Mayan Harvest Bake.  And then, I wrote a huge blog post about how fabulous that meal is and how all of you should run out and buy it...but, my computer went a little crazy, and the whole post got deleted.  And now I don't feel like rewriting it.  So, go pick up this meal, seriously.  You will LOVE IT.

I headed home with every intention of doing nothing but reading Eclipse until it was time for my group run at the running store.  But...disaster struck in the form of a migraine.  Blech.  I haven't brought this up before, but...when I get a migraine, I get a major salt craving.  I started noticing this a few months ago.  When I have an especially bad migraine that makes me throw up, I have a really strong salt craving afterwards.  If we don't have saltines in the apartment, I go crazy!  After some Google research, I read that migraines can be caused by a sodium deficiency.  I don't eat a lot of salt, so I thought this was interesting.  Over the last few weeks, I've been trying to eat salt when I feel a migraine coming on.  I'll start popping saltines and drinking water, and frequently, this seems to do the trick.

So, when the migraine came on this afternoon, I started popping saltines and drinking water.  Saltines = not WW friendly!  I rested for awhile, but got up to go to my group run.  Halfway there, my migraine kicked in at full force.  I turned around, went back home, and crawled into bed.  And I drank a vanilla Coke.  Vanilla Coke = not WW friendly!  But a caffeine kick is a last resort.  

After a nice little rest...the migraine is almost gone!  And I made a nice WW-friendly crockpot meal (ham and potato au gratin - let me know if you want the recipe!  It was pretty tasty!).  So, the day is not completely lost.  But I didn't get my second workout in, so I kind of feel like a bum.  Tomorrow morning, I need to Shred AND run!  Whew!

Happy almost-Friday, everyone!  I'm off for the weekend, thanks to my summer part-time schedule.  Tomorrow afternoon, I'm hanging out with my Little Sis, S - we're watching a movie and I'm making her mac and cheese, her fave meal.  I know I haven't talked much about her in awhile...I think I'll do an S post sometime this weekend.  

9 comments:

jenn said...

oh no - hang in there! migraines suck :(

kilax said...

Oh my gosh! The only thing I ever want to eat when I get a migraine is saltines. Holy crap. I never made the connection.

Hey, the day is not lost! You still did the Shred and didn't go overboard. I hope tomorrow is awesome for you!

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

That still sounded good to me! You exercised and made good choices in your food. Way to go!

Lucy Marie said...

Don't be hard on yourself - like everyone else is saying, you didn't completely go crazy with what you ate. You had an usually difficult day with the migraine so it can be expected. If that was me with the migraine (like it was last night) I would have eaten an entire bowl of popcorn smothered with salt and butter ... oops. Keep up the good work! You're doing awesome.

Jennifer said...

You still did great! Everyone has off days and all that matters is that you pick yourself up and have a better day the next day.

Lucky in Love said...

Yuck, migraines! I'm so sorry you had to miss your run! I hope your workouts today are better! Yeah for part time schedule!

Jackie said...

I hope you are feeling better today! That is interesting about the migraines, I had never heard that before.

Brittany Ann said...

Migraines are horrible. Anyone who is ever had them (me! me!) can understand that diets be damned. Sometimes, you'd eat straight lard if they'd just go away. Don't worry or beat yourself up over it. You'll pick right back up!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm sorry to hear about that migraine!

Isn't kashi meals amazing?!?!