Monday, June 15, 2009

Totally, Completely Exhausted...

I have decided that I have a definite fear of the unknown.  Case in point:  tonight I had my first "group run" with my training group.  Every Monday and Thursday, the running store in town has these group runs - so it's not exclusive to my training group.  I missed both group runs last week, so I didn't know what to expect.  All day, I dreaded going.  Even 5 minutes before I got in the car to drive to the store, I just stood around my apartment morosely wishing I didn't have to go.  I was worried about the format - I didn't know what we were doing.  I didn't know who would be there.  I started worrying I would be the only slow runner.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  You know the drill.  All those mind games we play with ourselves.

But, I went anyway.  And I ran my little heart out.  Seriously.  We left from the store and ran two miles to the IU soccer fields.  I ran most of the time but stopped to walk up a couple of serious inclines.  At the soccer fields, we did one mile of strides.  Whew.  Then, two miles back to the store.  That's 5 miles, people.  Obviously, I took several walk breaks on the way back...and my calves are KILLING ME.  But - I sure am proud of myself!  And I am totally, completely exhausted.  

The morning started out with Day 6 of the Shred.  I cannot WAIT to get to Level 2...I am getting seriously bored.  Thanks for all of your suggestions, but...I already do all of them.  I have had Jillian muted since day one...because I cannot stand her yelling at me.  I listen to my ipod.  My dog even joins in the fun sometimes - he especially likes when I'm on the floor doing abs.  I'm still bored, though.

After the Shred and after a nice cool shower, I went to my friend Patty's house to ride horses!  My friend Becky brought her two little kids, aged 2 and 3.  None of them had ever been on a horse before - including Becky!  I never imagined that someone born and raised in Indiana could go their entire life without riding a horse!  Anyway - Patty has a beautiful house, 12 acres, 4 horses, 2 goats, and 3 dogs.  We had so much fun!  The kids LOVED the horses.  Even the big kids (i.e. Becky and me) had a fantastic time.  

I have two favorite moments from our time with the horses.  Both involve Becky's daughter, Jenae (3 y/o).  The first:

Shaina:  Jenae, I love your pink sparkly sandals!
Jenae:  These aren't called sandals.  These are called flip-flops.
Shaina:  Oooh!  Oops.  My mistake.

Seriously.  Aren't kids the cutest?  But this one takes the cake - a great discussion between Jenae and I while she was up on the horse with me.

Jenae:  How old are all of you?
Shaina:  You want to know how old we are?  How old I am?
Jenae:  Yeah.
Shaina:  Well, I'm 27.
Jenae:  What about the other one?  Patty?
Shaina:  Patty, Jenae wants to know how old you are!
Patty:  Well sweetheart, I'm 44.
Jenae, excited:  Wow!  44!  That's how old Mommy is!!!!
Becky/Mommy:  NO, Jenae, I'm not 44!  I'm only 34!!!
Jenae, to me:  Well, they're both old.

Hahahahaha!  I nearly died laughing.  It's so true, though - when you're a kid, anyone over 18 seems ancient, right?

Anyway.  After horseback riding, I attempted to go to work.  But the offices were locked, and I don't have a key.  Also, the school was completely deserted.  Work day aborted.

So I sat around for a few hours, and then picked up S for an afternoon of fun!  I still haven't written an S post, I promise to do that soon.  After S, I went to the running group.  And there you have it, my extremely detailed day of activities!

I'm thinking there's a good chance I skip the Shred tomorrow morning.  I'm going to wait and see how I feel in the morning.  Tomorrow night, my running group is back at the IU cross country course...and that course is no joke.  I want to make sure I don't hurt myself.  I may wake up and just do some weights or pushups or something, and save my legs for the evening.  

Okay.  So now it's 10:15 and I am ready for bed.  Have a great night, everyone, and we'll chat tomorrow!  

16 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

Good work on your run, girl! You're awesome!

Lucy Marie said...

What an awesome day. Way to go, girl.

all i need is love... said...

Kids say the darndest things, don't they? My kids think my parents are 1000 years old...

Lucky in Love said...

You are freaking amazing with your running! I am so proud of you for doing this whole thing with a group of people. I'm sure they are really pushing you to do your best! So impressed!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's great about the run! There's no way I could do 5 miles all in one run! That's hard with inclines!

Under this Umbrella said...

I am so, so, so proud of you. I have that great fear of the unknown and am embarassed to admit there are instances such as your run group last night where I haven't gone. I am so proud of you for going and for that awesome work out. WOW!!!

As far as the kid sayings...they are so the best. Tuck those away in your brain and then pull them out when you really need them. I laugh about things Mini #1 has said all the time.

Hope you're feeling better this morning. Talk to you soon!

Beverly Lam said...

p.s. kate spade sample sale time! http://www.katespade.com/samplesale/login.jsp?EDID=C7TIAF-RUD0-2AF7D-WLR1S-ZAS1-v1

Anonymous said...

Great job on your run! Kids are just too cute sometimes.

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Running AND Shredding? You're a workout inspiration.

What was that girl doing wearing pink sparkly flip-flops/sandals on a horse anyways? Regardless, so glad you had a fun time.

jenn said...

i'm so impressed with your dedication! :) hang in there!

Cristina said...

I love chatting with kids, it's so entertaining!

katie said...

You are doing such a great job! I am so impressed!!!

Lindsey said...

Keep up the great work with the Shred! Level 2 is my least fave because I think it is the hardest and really tones A LOT! You can do it!!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Girl I am impressed! I would have died on that run!

Jackie said...

I hate the unknown too. I have such a hard time initiating any kind of activity in general that things I have never tried before are pretty much like pulling teeth. Not good!

kilax said...

Oh my gosh! Jenae is hilarious!

Great job on the 5-mile run. I sometimes dread the unknown too... but look at how well that turned out! I love that you have joined a running group.