Wednesday, February 18, 2009

On aging

My very newest readers may not realize that, last Monday, I turned 27. Now, I joke quite a bit about being "old" and "getting old" but the truth is - I don't feel old. I am still shocked that I graduated from college almost five years ago - and I've been out of high school for almost nine.

The first time I felt "older," and by that I guess I really mean "more mature," was a mere three months ago, on my wedding day.

When I was young, I thought I would meet the man I was going to marry in college, marry at age 22 (what did I know?), and start having kids when I was 25.

Now that I am *older* and *wiser* I realize that this just isn't how it goes for everyone. I met Mr. Smith a month after my 24th birthday. I was 26 when we got married. And, while Mr. Smith and I have seriously been discussing having kids lately, we know that the time won't be right for another two-ish years. When I'll be 29.

I guess I felt *old* on my wedding day because getting married seemed like such an adult thing to do. It's kind of like I felt like, for the first time, I wasn't a kid anymore. Did anyone else have these feelings?

Anyway - this wasn't intended to be a heavy post. In fact, the reason I wanted to discuss aging is because of MY SKIN! While I may not feel like I'm "old," I have lately realized that perhaps my skin does? I have wrinkles. Around my eyes and my mouth - my smile lines. The solution seems obvious: stop smiling. But this just isn't possible for me.

So, help me. I have extremely ick skin and don't know what products to add now that I need some sort of anti-aging stuff. My skin is very combination - I have been using Proactiv for awhile but would love to downgrade to something a little more gentle. Any skincare ideas for someone who is break-out prone, still gets dry itchy skin on her face, and wants to start combatting wrinkles?

5 comments:

jenn said...

we lead almost parallel lives :) I was married at 26 too, will be 27 this year...graduated same years, etc. i feel ya on the kids thing too - who would be insane enough to want kids at 25??

As far as the skin stuff goes - let me know what you find. Proactiv is currently on my $hit list because it's drying the heck out of my skin. the skin under my EYEBROWS was peeling the other day. totally not acceptable :)

Beverly Lam said...

yeahhh, i just posted about pressure to have kids not too long ago. but dude, your life will never be the same, and it will never be just you and mr. smith again, until you're old and the kids are grown up. :) so enjoy it while you can!

i like clinique. but that's just me. :) everyone's different.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'll be getting married at 26 as well. I totally understand your feelings. I used to look at brides and grooms and see adults there, but once my friends started getting married I realized, wow, these people aren't much older than me! It was mind-blowing.

As for the skin thing, I'm using 10% benzyol peroxide, which is very non-drying for me, and I use L'Oreal Skin Genesis line..it's working well!

bianca said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

I've been having a year of "feeling old". I'm graduating from law school this may and getting married in September and I'll be 26. If you asked me a few years ago if I thought this is where I'd be at 26, I would have laughed in your face. It's absolutely crazy!

I've heard really good things about the Neutrogena line. Let us know what you try!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

You don't feel old because you aren't old! Take it from me, you're a baby. I remember when I turned 30 I felt like life was over (I had no real boyfriend which didn't help)...

Now I'd love to be 30 again...30 is a BABY!

And speaking of babies....definitely wait....do everything you want to do (travel Europe etc.) ...things you just can't do with a child till they're much older...

Aren't I "Mrs. Wise" today? Lol.