Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wednesday morning randoms

Happy hump day, everyone!

Thanks so much for all of your comments/thoughts about applying to be a Big Sister. I'm so excited that I completed my application yesterday afternoon and am currently waiting to be contacted for an interview! I spent much of my evening looking at the stories about real Bigs and Littles...and crying, of course. I'll be sure to update you on the process.

Today is the day of the week when I start to think about the weekend. Does anyone have any big plans? Mr. Smith has an exam for one of his classes on Saturday morning, which means I will likely take a trip to my favorite place - the Farmers Market! Yummy. There is just nothing better than fresh farm veggies, cheese and meat. Yum yum yum. I think we will head to my in-laws on Saturday afternoon (they only live about 20 minutes down the road, but we haven't seen them in a few weeks) to hang out for awhile. Mr. Smith and his dad always head to the back room to watch basketball on the big screen. I like to sit in the front room with my mother-in-law, watching Top Chef marathons on her little flat screen. All is good. :)

This morning, I've been handing out scores to students who took this standardized test that my grant program facilitates. It's called the Work Keys test. Does anyone work in a school, and know about this test? I won't go into the boring details, but...it's a test made by ACT, and it measures practical job-related skills. It's geared towards students who are joining the workforce right after high school and/or are heading to a two-year college. This one really awkward kid came in to get his score, and we chatted about it for a few minutes. He is coming to retest one section when I do the test at our school district's GED center in a couple of weeks, so we were discussing the details. He got up to leave, got to the door of my office, looked back and said..."You're looking really good today, by the way."

Um. Thanks.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Yay! I think you'll enjoy it! My last comment was really short because I was on my phone :-) No, I'm no longer a social worker - I was for 3 years after college (at an elementary school and a high school) but my schools lost their grant funding. I didn't mind, though, because I was already starting to get a bit burnt out. I really miss working with the kids, though :-( Maybe I should think about being a Big Sister, too!

Anonymous said...

I think you'll enjoy it, good luck with the process! It's a very inspiring and self-reflection inducing activity to start up, I think!

As for the weekend - farmers market is a wonderful idea!

jenn said...

aww how cute - your student has a crush. :) also - i'm glad to see someone else actually gets along with their in-laws. i feel like a lot of people blog about hating them. don't get me wrong - i don't want to spend TOO much time with them. but life is a lot easier if you at least like them!!